09 June 2008

MONDAY, JUNE 9, 2008


UP TO MY ELBOWS IN STARS....


I FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT! THE FIRST TIME I PIECED THE SQUARES AND TRIANGLES BY MACHINE...WHICH DID NOT WORK! THEN I CUT ALL THE PIECES OUT AGAIN, BUT THIS TIME PIECED BY HAND...AND WALLA, THEY FIT! NOW ONLY HAVE TO DO 33 MORE BLOCKS! I HAVE BLOCK TWO CUT OUT AND READY TO BE SEWN, SO WILL BE WORKING ON THIS FOR AWHILE!

WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON?

OH, I HAVE A REALLY INTERESTING QUESTION. IT WAS ON JEANNE KIMBALL'S BLOG, "WHY DO YOU QUILT"?
I QUILT BECAUSE I LOVE TO WORK WITH MY HANDS. BUT IN ANSWERING THAT QUESTION I FOUND I HAVE SO MANY ANSWERS. I ALSO LOVE THE FEELING OF FINISHING SOMETHING, WHETHER IT IS A BLOCK, A BORDER, A VINE, I TRULY LOVE TO APPLIQUE BY HAND. I LOVE THE PORTABILITY OF IT AND ALSO THE THERAPY THAT GOES INTO JUST SITTING QUIETLY AND SEWING. QUILTING HAS GIVEN ME CONFIDENCE AND ALSO CALMS ME WHEN LIFE GETS A LITTLE HECTIC. I HAVE GAINED SO MUCH OUT OF QUILTING AND THE PEOPLE THAT YOU MEET IS JUST A BONUS!!

WHY DO YOU QUILT?

HAPPY SEWING,

HUGS, MARY

4 comments:

  1. Why do I quilt? I love the needle going into the fabric whether it's by machine or hand. It's very soothing. I also love the fabrics and playing with colors to see what will work together.

    Congrats on getting your star block to work. It looks grand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your star is beautiful! I have started hand piecing a Baby Jane quilt...at the rate I'm going, it will take 25 years...lol.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quilt because it relaxes me. I am a hand quilter and there is something calming about sitting there stitching one stitch at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Missouri Star blogs are looking good! Young "adults" are great fun and a wonderful energy to have in the house. Cooper...cute doggy!

    ReplyDelete